Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Heart vs Mind: The Ultimate Battle

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, there is a devastatingly long distance between the heart and the mind on all sorts of issues. Examples include jobs, relationships, musical tastes, vehicle preferences etc. And finally I came up with a suitable analogy for the heart/head relationship.

You know that scene in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers where Sam is dragging Gollum through the rocky border of Mordor? Notice how Gollum is holwing at the distress Sam (and the elven rope) are placing upon him. Notice the fury, and seeming cruelty that Sam employs uses to keep Gollum heading in the right direction, although Gollum's cries threaten to bring down fire and ruin upon their heads.

So in my analogy, Sam would be the mind, rational, knowing the right direction. Gollum is the heart screaming under the mind's cruel whip. And somedays it really feels that way.

However, my analogy fell apart when I realized that if Gollum had not gotten free the Ring would not have been destroyed. Then I realized Gollum was immolated in the process...so my analogy almost stands up, but not really. So yea, Go Team!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

But once in a while, your heart does gain control (atleast mine does), so perhaps, Gollum's freedom can represent that . . .
Though, often, when my heart is incontrol there is much more pain and distress . . .

I'll let you figure out the annalogy for this stuff, it's not my forte.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but Gollum represents the dual mind, the right and left brain constantly battling each other and Sam is the heart, the real best friend that only cares for the truth without interests. In these case both where necessary to accomplish the mission. But the heart is definitely our best friend in any case, it moderates the mind!