Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Megadeth: March 13 2007

Hey All!

So I went to see Megadeth last night for the 3rd time at Rexall Place, who were opening for Heaven & Hell (i.e. Black Sabbath w/ Ronnie James Dio as front man). There was a fairly good sized crowd waiting outside, including two drunks who were there to see Down. Then Down cancelled b/c of illness so they were now drunk and pissed, and eventually left. Trash-talking Megadeth and Sabbath is a terrible idea, by the way.

So we (Tammy, my friend Quinn and his friend Geoff) got in around 6:15ish and proceeded to the merch table to procure swaggage. I was a little choked that they didn't have any Megadeth women's-wear for Tammy. So we got our gear, and went to our seats and proceeded to wait until 7:30ish for Megadeth to come on. The United Abominations backdrop was sweet to the max, and covered over thier amps. And then lights out.

And the intro part of Sleepwalker comes on, and then the riff and drums explode into existance and we could see the band rocking out hard. You could tell from the get-go that Dave was driven, and ready to kick all our heads in with his music. He was all over that stage, and was playing his guitar more recklessly than I'd ever seen him play before. They blasted through tthe first four songs : Sleepwalker, Wake Up Dead, Kick The Chair and In My Darkest Hour before taking a break to address the crowd. Dave's new Dean guitar looked sweet from back where I was.

Then they launched into Washington Is Next, which was sweet, and one of the songs that I really looked forward to hearing. Then they headed into Trust and I got to watch Tammy headbang for the first time. She was so into it! It was really cool to go and experince such a high point with her and see her enjoy it as much as I did. And then they play A Tout Le Monde, one of Tammy's favourite songs, which we both enjoyed immensely.

Out of nowhere they started the Hangar 18 riff, which caught me off-guard b/c they hadn't played it in Vancouver, but it was awesome. Glen shredded those solos, I've really enjoyed watching him get better and better and gain confidence in the band. I can't wait to hear his work on the new album (May 15th if you're wondering). Then they blasted through Symphony of Destruction, Peace Sells, and came out for the encore Holy Wars. Also I had time to scream at Dave that we loved him after the encore. Acorrding to Quinn I crossed a line. I don't see how. He has/d a man-crush on Dio.

They played so well and had the crowd just right fired up for Sabbath. I won't say too much about Sabbath b/c I didn't enjoy them all that much, but I was beat after Deth so that may have had something to do with it.

The Bottom Line: This band rules. This line-up rules. Go see them when they come through your city b/c they are on FIRE right now!

3 comments:

AmyTheFreak said...

What?! No womens wear!
Now I'm bummed, well I can always try and find something at the West Edmonton Mall next weekend...

But it definatly sounds like you had a great time! I'm getting pumped! Kids were talking about concerts in my Social Class and my teacher knows I'm going and was like "How about Black Sabbath!" and I was like "YES!" and everyone went silent.

The only band kids like at my school is the Red Hot Chili Peppers... for shame.

LCP from MJ said...

You were so right! It did blow my socks off!

AmyTheFreak said...

GO READ MY BLOG ROD!
I've been blessed by the gods of metal!!!