Thursday, October 12, 2006

Concerning Hobbits and Being 21

So on a momentous occassion today I became 21 years of age. And this has given me pause and cause to relfect back on the previous 4 years, and to speculate about this my final year (God-willing) here at CUCA.

"Back when I was just seventeen
I thought that I knew everything
I could make it in this scene
To be a rising star that only gleamed
But all the answers disagreed
With the questions held for me"
Of Mice and Men - Megadeth

There's not much to tell about 1st year. My first love and relationship began. I turned 18 a few months before that, and the world was still large and fresh. Still a some crap went down, feelings were hurt, things were said. Shirts were taken off and a giant green 'D' was painted upon my chest in -30 degree weather. I took my first language in a long time, I took voice lessons. And I grew slowly toward the person who stands before you today.

"Outside on a winter's night as the rain begins to fall
There's a chill in the air and the howl of a wolf while the rain beats at the door
Seven kings will ride on the wind up towards the mountains high
And the only sound that will break the air is the warrior's bitter cry

Burning starfire shine in the sky
For the lives of great men who stand by your side
When the night fall on we will ride
For no lost souls will live on forever"
Starfire - Dragonforce

Second year was much more hectic and taxing on me. Dealing with mentors, and trying to breaking out from under their wing, and still trying to learn from them. Learning how to balance a job, Stats, Hebrew and a relationship taught me time management. I found a community of faith that I could belong to, and participate in.

I went to my first ever Megadeth concert and that was awesome beyond all reason. The relationship taught me things about myself both good and bad, and further galvanized my personality. And the break-up taught me even more. Babysitting my cousins was fun that summer though. As was watching anime with Joel and Nick. And making new friends in Regina (Hey Heather *waves*) was coolio to the max.


"Brace up, defend,
never ever be outdone in bravery

This is the way we want it to be
This is The Way Of The Warrior
This is the way we want it to be
Walking the way, the honest will see
Walking The Way Of The Warrior
Walking the way, The Way Of The Warrior"
The Way of the Warrior - Hammerfall

Third year was interesting to say the least. It started off with a bang though as Gowan, Joel, his friend Laura and I embarked to the first-annual Gigantour show headlined by Megadeth, oh it was sooo good and a kick ass way to start a year off. On the rebound and seeking to recover, well let's just say things didn't go so well. The old guard of friends I had at CUCA had moved on, and in a sense I was able to move out from underneath their shadow, and take some of the limelight.

New friendships and bonds were formed, and they still stand to this day. I learned even more about myself and life in general. I found what I would and would not stand for, and how I would approach and deal with people. a new knighthood was formed (Vince, where's our Constitution?, lol). My heart took a beating but it was worth it. Then the summer came, a guitar was bought, a tour guide I became. A new confidence was found and carried into the coming year.


"Some words will trigger certain acts
Belief in limitations we have learnt
Some acts will trigger certain states
I'm taking back what I gave away

Deviate from the form of nothing
Deviate from the norm to something
Deviate from the form of nothing
I deviate, farewell to the tribe"
Deviate from the Form - Scar Symmetry

And now two months into what should be my final year here, I find myself reaping some of the benefits of all the trials, all the heartaches, all the doubts. A renewed vigor burns deep within and we all know who it comes from (hint: we can't see Him). I've found my niche being on stage with my axe and rockin' hard. I have my friends, I have my niche, I have everything one could really want or ask for (minus 500 points for lack of a girlfriend, lol).I have a Blind Guardian concert to look forward to, and graduation even further on after that. I should on all accounts be some kind of awesome.

"Look around and see
The world is turning fast
Faster day by day
Somewhere far beyond
I'll try to change it If I can
Somewhere far beyond
There's only one chance
And it lies
Somewhere far beyond
Somewhere far beyond

The march of time it has begun..."
Somewhere Far Beyond - Blind Guardian

3 comments:

Vinny said...

Yeah that constitution is pretty much in its planning stage still. I remember having some good ideas for it last year, but now they are all gone...yeah my bad. It has been a pleasure getting to know you Rod, and getting to know you and being able to count you as a friend is something I never take for granted.

Heather said...

Hey Rod! Convocation will be a great feeling! You deserve it! Can't wait to see you November - I need to see some friends here in Vancity. You're a great friend! Thanks!!!

Furious Rodimus said...

Thanks for the kind words you guys. And I'm so pumped to get down to Vancouver for a few days of rest, relaxation and Rock & Roll!