Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Concert Review: July 10, 2006.

On the bill:
Thine Eyes Bleed
Children of Bodom (cancelled)
Mastodon
Lamb of God

Thine Eyes
Okay, I know absolutely nothing about this band at all so it's hard to say much about them. The lead vocalist had good intensity, as did the rest of the band. Not much that really stood out to me other than the intensity.

Children:
Biggest let down of the night goes to Bodom who didn't show up or cancelled. No explanation was ever given. Disappointment all around as I was looking forward to Alexi tearing everyone a new one with his guitar skills. The man's a freak!

Mastodon:
The band I was most familiar with in terms of their catalogue. Put on a good show. I definately liked the fact that the two guitarists and bass player all shared the vocal duties, giving a nice bit of variety (well as much as you can get when you're doing the death metal/screams thing). Their music got a bit repetitive after a while. Big props though for the song Blood & Thunder which I enjoyed to no end.

Lamb of God:
Only semi-familiar with their stuff. I enjoyed the 1st half of the set more which included Laid to Rest, and I belive Ashes of the Wake (cue: fan telling me I'm wrong). Their last two songs were frickin' intense Redneck...and Shadows of Persuasion? (or something like that)

The Crowd:
Insane. Saskatchewan metalheads are some of the most ferocious I've seen in the pit. Good size, and friendly when you actually take the time to talk to the people.

The Venue: Awesome, easily one of the best I've been in.

Overall: 3 Bloody Knuckles out of 5. No Bodom really hurt this effort. And I needed to do better homework on the other bands. But they didn't offer much to me other than being very intense. But they're young so we'll see if the develop further.

Waiting For: Gigantour 2. Blind Guardian.

No comments: